May 4, 2011

"Bright Star, Would I Were Stedfast as Thou Art"

en français : « Brillante étoile, que n'ai-je ta constance ? »

I watched Bright Star last month and immediately, it made me love
1) butterflies
2) poems.

Even if, ordinary, I really hate butterflies, 
I can't stand flying next to me in my bedroom (night butterflies...oh yes I can nearly stand the butterflies when spring comes, obviously, but only out of my house!). 
And I really can't understand poems, I love literature, 
I'm totally fond of reading, but poems mean really nothing, 
or nearly nothing to me. It stays out of sense ! 
But in that case, in that movie, no.
That was such a revelation, and even if you already like butterflies and poems, watch it !!
That's such a beauty. That's not only a movie, that's the grace, the elegance, the fineness, the shrewdness, the subtlety, that's wonderful. It deals with the life of the poet John Keats, and especially his love affair with his  neighbour Fanny Brawne. At the first glance, there's absolutely no love between them, but eventually, they're gonna live an enormous romantic passion. What's striking in that movie, it is the poetic sense of the pictures, the poetic sense of the lines... The actors play opposite perfectly. It sums up perfectly well the poetry of John Keats I think, and it gives me lust to read his poems...

Some quotes and pictures of the movie :



<< Je rêve que nous sommes des papillons ayant à vivre que trois jours d’été, avec vous ces trois jours seraient plus plaisants que cinquante années d’une vie ordinaire. >>
<< I wish we were butterflies and liv’d but three summer days - three such days with you I could fill with more delight than fifty common years could ever contain. >>


"Un poète n'est en rien poétique" - "A poet is not poetic."



"L'espoir est utile"- "Hope is usefull."

"On ne peut pas être créé pour souffrir autant. Il doit y avoir une autre vie"
"We can't be born to suffer so much. There should be another life."


"L'art de composer est une imposture" - "The art of composing is an imposture."



"Skin has a memory." - "La peau a une mémoire."

"Un objet de beauté est une joie sans fin." - "A thing of beauty is a joy for ever. "


"Ne reviens pas : il n'y a pas d'automne par ici." - "Don't come back : there's no autumn here."

Elodie Hope Springs

2 comments:

Thanks for writing comments. We love to read them and they really make us smile :)