April 3, 2011

australian music.

When I was researching for this post I had a peek at the Australian Top 40 music chart, and to my dismay, almost all the songs featured on the chart were by non-Australians. I could've made a list of the 'top songs' in Australia based on the sharts, but instead, I thought maybe I'd share some Aussie bands that you may not have heard of. Not all of these songs are recent, in fact a few are a year or two old, but these are a couple of my absolute favourite home-grown talents. Enjoy!

Yves Klein Blue: This Brissie band doesn't actually exist anymore, which is a terrible shame, as their music was just fantastic. However, I had to share them with you anyway, as their music is still available, and if you can cope with the idea that you're never going to see them live, they're fantastic.

'Getting Wise'


'Make Up Your Mind'


Angus and Julia Stone: I'm sure most of you have heard of this brother/sister duo, but correct me if I'm wrong in saying that. They make beautiful, dreamy music that reminds me of either long hot summer afternoons, or winter days curled up by the fire. They have a gorgeous, simple, acoustic sound, and I struggled to narrow it downto just two songs to share with you. In the end, YouTube decided for me: only two would load!

'Mango Tree'


'The Beast' (I love this clip!)


Kate Miller-Heidke: Again, I would guess that a lot of you have heard of Kate. If you haven't you have now, which can only be a good thing. I love Kate, her songs never fail to put a smile on my face. She has the most incredible voice, writes very clever and often humorous songs, and does one of the best live shows I've ever seen. Her music clips are also fantastic, so creative!

'Words'


'Can't Shake It'


Lisa Mitchell: I hope I don't offend anyone by saying that Lisa Mitchell is the only musician of any talent to come out of Australian Idol. In fact, I think it's best if just forget that she ever was, and just go with the fact that Lisa has an amazing voice, sings adorable songs, and has perfect hair. I think she's great.

'Clean White Love'

'Incomplete Lullaby'


The John Butler Trio: Are an 'eclectic roots and jam' band fronted by John Butler. I love their music because it's so varied, it's usually upbeat and danc-able, and it often carries a message, which is a kind of nice change.

'Better Than'


'Zebra'


So there you are, some music from my country. I hope you enjoyed it!

xx

3 comments:

  1. this is refreshing, as the only aussie music i'd heard before was cody simpson -shudder- xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for writing comments. We love to read them and they really make us smile :)